Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Suffering and Rejoicing

My picks were a miserable 5-11 against-the-spread (8-8 straight up). I was destroyed by comebacks; Detroit, San Fran, Cincy, Seattle, and the Giants all mounted enormous comebacks to either win or cover the spread in obnoxious fashion. At halftime of the 1pm games, I was on pace to go 7-2. All of the afternoon games were going my way too until the 4th quarters. I just got lambasted over and over by huge freaking comebacks. Arizona led by 10 with 3 minutes left and lost; Atlanta and Philly both led by 20 in the second half and both gave up 3 TDs in the last 25 minutes to lose ATS; and of course the Lions were trailing by 24 with 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, but I'm not complaining about that outcome.

Also, my fantasy teams were destroyed by the Ravens defense. I lost all 3 leagues, but had pretty substantial leads in all of them. In the A League, I had the win wrapped up after Beanie Wells put up 3 TDs; I led by 30ish and all he had was the Ravens defense. Well, they promptly scored defensive TDs in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarter, and I hate Mark Sanchez even more now. Overall I went 6-6 in the 12 leagues: 3-0 in the leagues in which I own the Ravens D, and 0-4 against them. My favorite non-important team is the Morgan Mouse, the only team I actually drafted in full. I was trailing last night by 2.5 points with only DT Gerald McCoy left. McCoy had 6 tackles and 1 sack to earn me the victory.

But overall, it was a miserable weekend for picks and for my fantasy teams.

However, the Lions are 4-0 and the Tigers are on the verge of advancing to the ALCS, so you won't hear any complaining from me. I'll recap my thoughts on the Lions in a couple days when I get to the week 5 picks. Going to be an interesting week, with tons of injuries (Jerod Mayo, Andre Johnson, Roethlisberger) and a few bye weeks. And of course the Lions first Monday nighter in 10 years.

Completely unrelated to anything: you know that Captain Morgan commercial where all the pirates are having some kind of secret underground meeting, and the waitress drops the glass and it breaks, and the mean old lady grimaces like maybe she'll have the servant girl horsewhipped, and Cap't Morgan decides it's an opportune time to show how much he sympathizes with clumsy waitresses by nudging his glass off the table and watching it shatter, which elicits a jubilee of broken glasses amongst all these pirate leaders and 15th-century politicians, who learn that by shattering a glass you might rekindle a forgotten love or discover a profound sense of youthfulness, and then even the bitchy old hag gets in on the fun, shyly tossing her glass over her head at the wall while smiling flirtatiously at the fun-lovin Capt'n? I can't decide if that's the worst 1 minute in the history of television, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Picks this year:
28-33-3 (43-21 straight up)
Lock: 2-2
Upset: 2-2
Survivor: 4-0
Lions: 1-3

A few last notes:

Don't get too excited about the Giants 3-1 start. From weeks 9 to 13 they play New England, New Orleans, Green Bay and Philly. They aren't winning more than 10 games.

It's okay to panic about the Rams. Even though their schedule gets easy soon, they look like crap. They couldn't stop Ryan Torain and Rex Grossman.

Andrew Luck going to Miami appears very likely. I've been following him a little bit this year and he's only getting better. Dude is a YouTube sensation already.


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment