Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

NFL Season Results

After completing botching the Super Bowl pick, I finished up the 2013 NFL season: 

175-90-1 straight up (66.0%)
136-120-2 against the spread (53.1%)
80-74-4 over/unders (52.0%)

As for my Super Bowl prop bets, let's just say it's a good thing I didn't put any real money on my confidence in Peyton Manning.  It would have gained me $168.80 and lost me $740, for a pretty huge deficit.  Who could have imagined Peyton would play his worst game in years on the biggest stage?   For all the discussion about whether or not his legacy would/could be affected by the Super Bowl, I didn't factor in the question:  if he morphs into Joey Harrington when all the pressure is on, does that affect his legacy?  I would have to say it does.  Still the best regular season QB ever, still going to break Favre's major records in the next two seasons, and still on Mt. Rushmore among QBs.  But his rep as the "non-clutch" foil to Brady's clutchness still remains. 

Speaking of not-clutch, my stupid playoff picks were 3-7-1 against the spread.  Picking against Seattle all three times evidently was not smart.  

Still, ending up above 53% ATS is an accomplishment.  Renowned blogger WalterFootball was at 52.3%. CBSsportsline's eight NFL experts all finished under 51%, with most of them below .500.   And of course, ESPN's columnist extraordinaire Bill Simmons finished 34 games below .500, which is impossibly bad and could never be duplicated.  

So, I'll close the books on another season above .500, and sign off for now.   Go Lions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment