Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Decision

Just had the 'A' league draft on Monday. Got the 11th pick. Best available was Peyton Manning, took Randy Moss at 14. Running backs are Jonathan Stewart, Justin Forsett, Knowshon Moreno, Ricky Williams and Donald Brown. Receivers are Moss, Malcolm Floyd, Johnny Knox, Jacoby Jones, Laurent Robinson, and Chaz Schileins. Got Gates at TE and Steelers defense; took Panthers kicker.

Looking at week 1, I've got Manning, Moss, and Gates starting (no-brainers). I'm allowed 2 RB, 2 WR and 1 RB/WR.

At running back, I have Stewart against the Giants, and at receiver I'm definitely starting Knox against Detroit.

That leaves me with 2 open spots and 8 choices. I have never felt so much like LeBron James ...

Let's weigh the pros and cons:

Knowshon Moreno: Cons are that he's iffy with a hamstring, might lose touches to Buckhalter, and plays on a crap offense. Pros are that he should get 15+ touches (if he plays), should get the red zone carries, and plays a less than amazing defense in Jacksonville. I've got him penciled in the lineup for now ... but I'm keeping tabs on the injury.

Justin Forsett: He's had a terrible preseason, but is still in line to lead Seattle in carries. Should get the start week 1. He's matched up against the 49ers and Patrick Willis, however, so he seems like an easy sit. But his explosiveness and propensity to break a big play make me nervous to leave him benched.

Ricky Williams: Ronnie Brown is healthy and starting, which limits Ricky to around 8-12 carries per game. But week 1 is against Buffalo, so we could have a mauling. Last year Miami beat them down 38-10 and Ricky got 16 garbage carries and 96 yards and a score. Hard to sit anyone against the Bills.

Donald Brown: He'll probably get between 5 and 10 carries and maybe a catch or two. Not much of a week 1 option.

Jacoby Jones: He's had a huge preseason opposite Andre Johnson and looks like he's taken over the #2 WR spot. Which means he'll be in single coverage against Indy's porous pass defense in week 1, and might see a few deep balls thrown his way.

Malolm Floyd: Although I've got Gates going as well, it's tempting to play both Chargers against the Chiefs. Floyd will be in a lot of single coverage against CB Brandon Flowers, and that's an eight inch height differential. Plus Rivers will be eager to prove to Vincent Jackson that they don't need him.

Chaz Schilens: I like the matchup against Tennessee, but between Campbell's injury and Chaz's knee issue I'm leaving him on the bench for now.

Laurent Robinson: The de facto #1 receiver on the Rams thanks to Avery's injury, Robinson matches up against Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie in week 1. I don't think Bradford will attempt more than 25 passes in his debut, but at least a third of those attempts should go towards Robinson. They'll run the ball plenty with Jackson, but that might open up Robinson for some deep playaction.

Ruling out Schilens and Brown, it comes down to Forsett, Moreno or Ricky for the RB spot and then one of those guys plus Robinson, Jones or Floyd for the flex spot.

I'm leaning towards Floyd and Ricky, but should I play Moreno instead? Maybe Ricky and Moreno and no Floyd? What are people's thoughts?


2 comments:

  1. I'd probably start Ricky and Jones. I'm putting Jones in over Hines Ward for week 1. He averaged 16.2 yards per catch last year, and I snagged him out of free agency.

    But hey, I'm no expert. Take it with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i appreciate the input ... i do like Jones. but floyd seems like a more sure thing. hmmm...

    ReplyDelete